Wednesday 4 July 2012

Tribute


Sad week. Bollinger bankers taking home the price of two Tornado GR4s lost in the North Sea. Watched XV (R) Squadron at Waddington on Sunday, only for lives to be lost on Tuesday. They gave a convincing demonstration of action in Libya or Afghanistan. (Pyrotechnics at Waddington below)

I couldn’t help thinking of my years in motor racing, watching heroes flashing past at a hundred and fifty only to die on the next lap. It’s the same sort of grief. You flinched then; I flinch more now I’m old. Pilots and drivers show the same dashing heroism; gain the same adulation of a Grand Prix crowd.

I’m glad motor racing is safer, sad that service flying is so demanding. I pay tribute to the Lossiemouth aircrew.

Bollinger bankers?

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the chief pilot of the Shuttleworth Collection, Trevor Roche, who also sadly died in the DH.53 crash at Old Warden on Sunday. But yes, my thoughts go out to the Tornado pilots, their friends and relatives. I've seen aircraft of XV (amongst others) at Lossimouth and over my dad's place outside Buckie; this is a sobering reminder that things can still go wrong.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails